Updated: Mar 18
I love the taste of coconut oil! I could eat it by the spoonful, that’s how much I like it, but I know, everything in moderation. I am thrilled that it is has some great health benefits and I want to share them with you.
Remember to look for Organic, unrefined, virgin coconut oil, even if you are only using it topically. Our skin is a major organ and easily absorbs toxins from pesticides. The brand that I use and recommend to my customers is Maison Orphee.
1. Improves brain function, especially for Alzheimer patients. Coconut oil contains fatty acids. These fatty acids are medium chain triglycerides (MCT). This is different from other fats, which usually contain long chain triglycerides. MCT’s are broken down by the liver and as a result ketone bodies are produced in the blood. Ketone bodies are a vital source of energy to the brain and improve brain function quickly, relieving symptoms for Alzheimer patients. As little as 1-2 tablespoons per day can make a difference.
2. Can help slow the aging process. Coconut oil has been found to act as an antioxidant in our body. It actually contains a lot of Vitamin E ( a well known antioxidant). Antioxidants stop damage to tissues and organs (such as skin and heart), and this slows the aging process.
3. Improves metabolism Thyroid function gets a boost when you include coconut oil in your diet. Improved thyroid function increases metabolism. Naturally this increases your energy levels which in turn aids in weight loss. It is a bit like a chain effect; a good one though!
4. Helps our bodies build a resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil is a MCT called Lauric acid. Lauric acid can kill harmful germs to help us fight off viruses and bacteria.
5. Helps to hold back yeast, fungus and candida Lauric acid along with Monolaurin (another fatty acid in coconut oil) work together to get rid of yeast and fungi! Awesome!
6. Controls blood-sugar levels Coconut oil can help improve insulin use within the body and has a substantial effect on blood sugar levels. Due to coconut oil, your cells are now able to bind to insulin and utilize glucose from the bloodstream.
7. Lowers amounts of abdominal fat The MCT’s in coconut oil are broken down by the liver andhelp the body to burn energy efficiently. Studies have shown this to be true by decreased fat around the abdomen in people who introduced coconut oil in to their diet. What also helps is that the ketone bodies, produced after coconut oil is broken down by the liver, can help to reduce appetite. Again a few tablespoons per day made the difference.
8. Lowers cholesterol Lauric acid increases good HDL cholesterol found in the blood. This helps to improve the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) to LDL (bad cholesterol).
9. Coconut oil is good for skin and hair Now that we know that Vitamin E is abundant in coconut oil, we know that it will be good for our skin and hair; taken internally and used externally.
10. Eating coconut oil can help to reduce seizures The MCT’s in coconut oil can increase blood concentration of ketone bodies, which can help reduce seizures in epileptic children.
In my opinion, these are 10 great benefits that are worth thinking about. Of course, there are different opinions about everything these days. It can be confusing and sometimes frustrating. I believe in listening to your body and doing what feels right for you. What works for you may not work for someone else and what works for them may not work for you. You know your body best. You always have and you always will. Listen to your body and choose the healthiest choice possible.